Mandala Theatre is seeking application from qualified national individual for the position of training facilitator for our upcoming art management workshop. The details for the position are listed below.
TOR – Terms of Reference
Training facilitator (National Position)
For "7 days Theatre Art Management Workshop for Theatre Managers and Theatre Group Leaders"
Mandala is a group of young, enthusiastic, dedicated and diverse theatre workers. After long training and individual involvement in this field, Mandala Theatre-Nepal was formed to work together. We want to develop a participatory and inclusive space open to various genres of literature and inalienably linked to theatre.
The advancement of theatrical arts is our commitment; the production of innovative and creative works of art is our goal. We have devoted ourselves to exploring, popularizing and preserving the varieties of traditional and indigenous theatrical forms of our society, and we look ahead to work even more actively in the days ahead.
Our theatre is a strong voice for social justice, political awareness, and human rights. The driving spirit of Mandala is our people’s freedom and happiness.
Summary of Position
The training facilitator will facilitate a 7-days workshop on "Theatre Art Management Workshop for Theatre Managers and Theatre Group Leaders" She/he will offer relevant accompanying material and theoretical, as well as practical experience in the area. The workshop will be in 2 phases. The first phase will be a 2 days intensive orientation and practical session for theatre group leaders together with their managers and freelancer managers whereas the second phase will be a 5 days intensive workshop for Theatre Managers from different theatre group and freelancers. Objective for the workshop is to support Nepali theatre becoming more relevant and reliable to society by applying systematic and transparent management system.The training facilitatorwill work closely with Mandala’s Peace Worker Team to support Mandala in the implementation of this project, as well as its post-processing.
Content which needs to be covered through the workshop
- Creative art management
- Cooperation/Conflict between management and artists
- Manager’s leadership skills and communication skills
- Steps of the production-process and manager’s role and responsibilities
- System as integrated practice for theatre art and managers
- Integrated practice of highlighting challenges, limitations and potentials in theatrical work
Topics for first two days' orientation
- What is management in general concept? How do we see it?
- What is the management practices currently being practiced by different organizations?
- What is art management in general? Why it is important? How it is different or similar to other management system? (With the focus on to theatre management.)
- How can we bring changes/growth in theatre by practicing theatre/art management?
- How to build understanding/strengthen relationship between art managers and leaders?
Topics for five days' workshop
- Managerial concepts and practices
- How to create sustainability of art organization?
- Art Marketing
- Financial management (sponsors/fund-raising/accounts/taxation etc)
- Collaboration with corporate sectors (how art manager can play the vital role?)
- Production Analysis
- Policy making for organization
- Organizational chart (roles and responsibilities and required skills)
- Manager’s leadership skills and communication skills
- Other terminologies
Qualifications and experience
- Relevant academic qualifications
- Various practical experience in art management related work
- Innovative project coordination experience
- Good skill in human resource identification and mobilization
- Passionate about inclusive management work
- High ability of self-analysis and self-reflection plus the ability to role-model it
- Ability to promote equality and empowerment in the workshop- and performance-space related to Gender and Social Inclusion
- Practical teaching experience in the relevant area
- Good communication skills in Nepali and English
The workshop will be facilitated from 5th- 11th September 2018 in Kathmandu. Based on the facilitator’s interest and availability, she/he is encouraged to join the selection committee of the participants as volunteer from any day between 23rd- 24th July 2018. Please indicate in your application whether you would be available to join or not.
Please state in your application how you would teach the relevant content of the training as outlined above. Please also indicate a preferred amount of financial compensation (daily rate) and note, that our donor organization will prove your qualifications and decide upon the final rate being offered to you. We apologize for any potential inconvenience caused and encourage you to clearly state your academic and practical experience in the CV for the best financial outcome possible.
Please hand in a Cover Letter, CV, Tentative Schedule and Content for the Workshop, names and contact details of two referees, and a portfolio or similar documentation of previous relevant performance- and facilitation- experiences via email:
or as hard-copy at Mandala’s office in Anamnagar. The application has to be in English. Deadline for application is the 18th July 2018.
For further questions and inquiries please email to the above addresses.
Please refrain from phone inquiries. You will be contacted on 20th July 2018 if you are selected and invited to an interview process on 22nd July 2018.
Please note that the realization of this project pends budget-approval.
Women, people with disabilities and/or ethnic minorities will be favored and are especially encouraged to apply.